The flavors of this unusual ice cream are incredibly delicate yet delicious. I grow the lemon verbena and lavender side by side in my garden and is the inspiration for this recipe. If you don’t grow these herbs, shop for them at your local farmers market or grocer. You can always substitute dried herbs for the fresh herbs, just remember to adjust the amount of herbs you use. Dried herbs are more potent than fresh. Read on to to discover how to make this delicious ice cream recipe.
Lavender, Lemon Verbena Ice Cream Recipe
- 3/4 cup granulated organic sugar
- 1/2 cup of fresh organic lemon verbena leaves packed (if you can’t find fresh lemon verbena, use the zest of 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup fresh organic lavender
- 2 cups whole organic milk
- 2 cups heavy organic cream
- 8 egg organic yolks
- sprigs of fresh organic lavender and lemon verbena for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, lemon verbena leaves, lavender, milk and cream. Bring to a boil and steep for 20 minutes covered. Strain. In another bowl whisk together egg yolks and sugar.
- Whisk one cup of hot cream into egg mixture. Slowly whisk in new mixture to sauce pan with remaining milk. Stir constantly over low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Immediately remove from heat and cool in an ice water bath or refrigerator until completely cool. Strain. Add the mixture to the electric ice cream maker. Process according to the manufacturers’ directions.