Yields 8 scones
¾ cup coconut flour
1 cup gluten free oat flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp poppy seeds
¼ cup coconut milk
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp agave nectar (or maple syrup)
½ cup kumquats, seeded and finely chopped (plus 8 slices for decoration)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, sift together coconut flour, oat flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix in poppy seeds and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk and coconut oil until fully combined. Add vanilla extract, agave nectar, and kumquats; stir to combine.
- Slowly fold the liquid mixture into the flour mixture, and stir until a firm dough comes together. If the dough is sticky, add a tablespoon at a time of coconut flour until the dough reaches the desired consistency.
- Knead the dough into a ball and transfer to a flat surface. Flatten the ball of dough with your palms until it is about ¾ of an inch – 1 inch thick. Use a large knife to cut eight equal pieces. Top each piece with a kumquat slice.
- Transfer the scone slices to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden on top.
- Cool on a wire rack.