2 large oranges, washed
6 eggs, beaten
250 grams ground almonds
250 grams sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
Icing sugar to dust if desired
1. Boil whole, unpeeled oranges in a little water in a covered saucepan for 2 hours (you can do this step a day or so ahead of time and keep the boiled oranges, once cooled, in the fridge).
2. Discard water, allow to cool, then cut open, remove pips and chop roughly or pull apart into smaller pieces with fingers.
3. Preheat oven to 190ºC/170ºC fan forced and line the base and sides of a springform tin with baking paper.
4. Blend oranges and remaining ingredients thoroughly in a food processor. Pour batter into prepared tin.
5. Bake for 1 hour. If the cake is still very wet, cook a little longer.
6. Cool in tin before gently removing. Dust with icing sugar and zest and prepare to swoon.